The debt ceiling agreement clobbers grad students. It makes it harder to get loans for those working toward advanced degrees. We in this country need to encourage education not just at the bachelor level but at all levels. We don’t just live to make money but to extend our civilization. It’s important to continue this process.
Let’s cut grad students a break and maintain their ability to stay in school.
Frankly, I’m a little curious how this became part of the bill. I have long been aware of the enmity the GOP holds for the well educated. I once read a right wing commentator that said every person with a masters degree or above was an enemy of the party. I suspect there is considerable truth to that.
So, is that the intent, diminish the number of well educated and advance the power of the party? That’s pretty Machiavellian, if so I’m impressed. I assume the next target will be the sciences. After all, global warming and evolution just have to go. What attack frontally when you can just eliminate federal support for loans for specific fields? Eventually we can look forward to a system when only the right majors for the right people can be approved. A brave new world.
- Fixing One Artificial Crisis by Creating Another (fdlaction.firedoglake.com)
- Moody’s is Right About Eliminating the Debt Ceiling (fdlaction.firedoglake.com)
- NewsWatch: U.S. stocks clobbered; Dow off 513 points (marketwatch.com)
- Airline stocks clobbered on U.S. downgrade (marketwatch.com)
- The close: Dow clobbered (theglobeandmail.com)